The Red Fort is the historic fort in Old Delhi which was built by fifth Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in the 17th century. Today, it is at the ramparts of the Red fort that the Indian Prime Minister hoists the national tricolour (Tiranga) and delivers a nationally-broadcast speech.
The fort was constructed between 1638 and 1648. The fort occupies a total area of about 254.67 acres with a few kilometers of defence walls. The fort is so named because of the Red Sandstone used for its walls and is dotted by turrets and bastions. The Red Fort is shaped like an octagon with the north-south axis longer than the east-west axis. The Fort is fully decorated with marble, floral decorations, double domes which remembers the Mughal architecture.
The fort was plundered during the 1747 invasion by Nadir Shah and a century later in 1857 the fort was further destroyed during India’s first war of Independence by the British colonisers. The Red fort complex is today designated as a Unesco world heritage site.