Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a Travel Insurance Plan?
The individual is covered Travel policy from Tata AIG General Insurance Co Ltd. The scheme covers medical expenses incurred for any in-patient& outpatient treatment outside INDIA by the individual. This policy has been taken by you travel outside India and for duration required by the traveler on an extendable basis upto 180 days.
2. What is the insurance plan period?
The policy is effective from the Start Date as mentioned on the policy certificate to the End Date as mentioned on the policy certificate or the date of entry to India whichever is earlier.
3. How do you define a trip?
Trip - means any Insured Journey during the Insured Period which starts and finishes in India and involves a destination(s) outside India; which lasts or is expected to last for: « up to 180 » Days or less if covered under Single Trip Insurance; or « up to 30/ 45 » Days or less per Trip, if covered under Annual Multi Trip Insurance.
4. How long does it take to get the insurance policy?
The policy will take 5 minutes to be issued, no paper work required. You can contact your local agent or Click here
for more details.
5. Can I get the list of countries covered under including and excluding Americas?
To see the list of countries covered under including Americas Click here
and for excluding Americas Click here
6. What is the percentage of the claim payable and whether it will be taxed?
The standard deductible under the Accident & Sickness Reimbursement is $100 irrespective of the value of the claim. The same is not taxable.
7. What are the sub-limits prescribed by the policy?
- The sublimits are applicable to the Age Category of 56-70
- Please refer the benefits under all Plans as in the Travel brochure of Tata AIG General Insurance Co Ltd
8. Can we visit ANY hospital or Doctor in US/Non-US in case of sickness?
Insured is free to approach any hospital at his convenience. However, our assistance company in Americas is 'AIG IS' and for Non-Americas is 'ISOS'. Incase of any emergency, the insured needs to contact our assistance company if time permits.
9. Do we pay first and then get reimbursed in India or TATA-AIG will pay all the expenses at the time of treatment?
Outpatient treatment insured has to pay first get it reimbursed from tata-aig once they reach India.. Claims are settled in 7 business days.
Inpatient treatment Cashless, provided the assistance company is activated for cashless before hospitalization or post hospitalization at the earliest so that the necessary rearrangements can be made for direct settlements, subject to policy terms and conditions.
The insured has to pay the minimum deductible at the time of discharge as per the policy.
10. In order to utilise the insurance, should I intimate the insurance prior to visiting the Dr. or hospital?
Outpatient - Not required.
Inpatient - for cashless service the insured has to get in touch with the assistance company (toll free number for including Americas policies: 1-866-866-2619 and for excluding Americas policies: +91-11-41898801)
11. What is the time frame within which the claim intimation has to be made?
Claims for which prior intimation has not been given to the Assistance Companies must be lodged with Tata AIG within 30 days. However it is advisable to register a claim abroad by informing the assistance companies on the applicable numbers (refer the policy certificate for the same)
If the individual has traveled back to India they may use one of the following methods to file a claim and mentione the policy/certificate number:
- Call the Toll Free Number on 1800 119966 (toll fee from BSNL/MTNL lines)
- SMS “CLAIM” to 8888
- Send a mail to email@example.com
12. Are there any restrictions on the hospital where the treatment should be taken?
There is no restriction on the hospital where treatment should be taken. The treatment can be taken in any hospital in the world outside India. However, the only restriction is that the hospital should be a registered hospital under the local jurisdiction. It is however advisable in pre planned hospitalization, the Insured informs the Assistance Company whom may choose the direct them to a Network Hospital in the same locality.
13. Is it necessary to visit a particular hospital?
It is not necessary to visit any particular hospital. You may visit any hospital or call up the Assistance Company and can get the medical referrals near to your place. Pre-existing illness/sickness/treatment is an exclusion under the policy.
14. Does it pay for medicines (not preexisting)?
Medicines prescribed by the treating doctor during the course of the treatment as per the policy terms and conditions.
15. In case of reimbursements how much time it takes?
In case of reimbursements, the claims are settled within 7 working days.
16. Do I get a refund of a part of the premium if I return before the coverage date ends?
As per the policy plan, there is no refund of the part of the premium for early return from foreign country.
17. The policy document says “Automatic extension of the policy up to 7 days”! Does it mean the insured is in the grace period and he/she is automatically covered for those days after the last date of the policy?
This benefit is applicable only for emergency situations which are not under the control of the insured.
18. Is the sum insured mentioned under each category applicable to all members traveling on the policy and is there any restriction on number of claims?
The sum insured as mentioned in the policy schedule is for each traveling member. For eg. If there are 3 family members traveling under a single Gold Plan policy, each of the them will be covered for a SI of $200,000 under the Accident & Sickness benefit.
Also this limit of $200,000 is per accident which means that the limit gets topped up once a claim is settled. For eg. If Individual A has had an accident and had filed a claim for $10,000, in the event of another sickness claims he/she will be eligible for $200,000 in full and the same will not be reduced by the $10,000 already claimed under the first claim. However the deductible of $100 will be applicable for a single claim/incident.
There is no restriction on the number of claims per person in the policy period.